Re: [Tigers] Rear End Gears

To: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear End Gears
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:45:36 -0700
Tom, and Tigers,

Actually, no difference.  It still has to have the proper shims to align
the shaft gear to the pinion gear, and torqued properly.  Unless, of
course, the gear and pinion "previously-owned" set are worn, or the
bearings are.  All of which need to be purchased again.  See a 4-wheel
drive shop.

Another issue is that the LSD from DANA has different differential gear
mounting bolts.  The Salisbury LSD version (Jaguar saloons) can take the
original 2.88 gears directly.  The US unit needs stepped bolts to
accommodate diameter change, but other Ford R&P sets made in US use
different diameter mounting bolts.  Adapter bolts are available, if you
know to order them (or let the 4WD shop do it).

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com