Re: [Tigers] Correct Maverick Fan?

To: owain.lloyd@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Correct Maverick Fan?
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:58:18 -0700
At 04:29 AM 10/13/2008, you wrote:
>is there any reason this magic fan is better than a new $30
>flex-a-lite fan?  i bought nice one from summit - 13" six blade i
>think.  draws a massive amount of air at idle.  steel center with
>stainless blades.   didn't take much tracking down.   i did however
>have to carefully drill out the centre hole to 1".

They may have made some design improvements since I last ran a
stainless bladed fan, but the fact remains that stainless steel work
hardens rather rapidly.  I had one explode on my Tiger in the late
80's.  Tore a nice big slice in my "fat core" radiator (Hey! it used
to be the trick setup before they improved radiator core design).  So
I'd say stainless fans have a limited service life.  I prefer a large
diameter electric pusher fan on a thermal switch and eliminating the
pump mounted fan to get rid of the parasitic drag.

Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net