[Tigers] Windshield Washer Question

To: TIGERS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: [Tigers] Windshield Washer Question
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:17:24 -0700
In my constant quest to make sure all my functions work (well, the
Tiger's functions anyway), I've installed an electric pump for my
windshield washer. The original plunger had finally worn out and won't
plunge any more. You know how you have to pump the manual plunger a few
times to get the water out of the washer jets if you haven't used it for
a while? In effect, the same thing happens with the electric pump, which
is not good for this type of pump. If you run it too long (10 seconds or
more for a few times) without water flowing through it, it burns out the
pump. (Guess how I know that). I have to run the pump for four or five
seconds, turn it off for a few seconds, run the pump a bit longer, turn
it off, then on again, until water starts flowing.

Which brings me to the question: Does anyone know what the function is
of that "nozzle"  at the end of the tube that goes inside the washer
water bottle? I took the nozzle off just now to experiment and there
seems to be less of a delay for the water to flow out the nozzles. There
still is a five or six second or more delay though. In modern cars when
you use the washer, the water comes out immediately. Any ideas about how
to fix this out there?

Steve Sage

Database version: 5.10930