[Tigers] One of a kind Cobra

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] One of a kind Cobra
From: "Mountjoy" <dsmtjoy@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 16:05:37 -0700
Group,

Just to muddy the waters...

As I understand it, back when, somewhere before Y2K, Shel' figured everyone
was making lots of money replicating the car he produced back in the '60s
(CSX 3000 series) so maybe he should get in on a slice of the pie.  (I'm
ignoring the Aroura slab-fender body kit car from the '80s.)  His LV
facility wasn't set up for making the bodies at the time and the Kirkhams
already had everything in place so one year at the Monterey Historic, I
think it was the year Shelby was the honored marque ('99??), he inked a deal
with Kirkham Motorsports to supply bodies.  I'm thinking the term
"supplier", here.  That was fine for a while until Shel' stopped paying his
bills.  By that time it seems Shelby was setup to produce his own bodies.  I
toured the LV facility in 2000 at "SAAC does Vegas" and they were set up by
then.

So, what does this present us?

There are Kirkham Cobras produced by Kirkham Motorsports with Kirkham VINs.
These were initially replicated from a Shelby CSX 3000 series Cobra they
owned and evolved through re-engineering to what they have today.

Then there are Shelby Cobras with Kirkham bodies and Shelby "CSX" 4000 VINs.
(Not sure if there were the 6000 & 7000 series with Kirkham bodies.)

Finally, there are Shelby Cobras with Shelby bodies and "CSX" 4000, 6000 &
7000 VINs.

Seems clear as mud to me.

Darrell