Re: [Tigers] Risky Business

To: arado7@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Risky Business
From: m_dangelo@verizon.net
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:21:39 -0500 (CDT)
Gary,

Believe me, I am all about adrenaline rushes and taking lots of calculated
risks.  I love to seek the edge of physics, to get to it without crossing the
limit.  That's exactly what I thrive on the most.  But that adventurism, in
this case, requires my complete faith in the integrity of the machine I am
driving.  Without that, it is quite impossible to seek the edge of physics
without pulling back, even if it's just a bit, for fear that the car will
betray me and cause grave harm to me and/or itself.  The issue with the way
many of you are portraying the Tiger, in my own humble opinion, is that there
is a [false] sense that the car is prone to random, catastrophic failures,
which can easily injure or kill you.  The operative word here is "random".  How
can one calculate risks when there is a variable and random element in that
calculation?  It's not possible and only cause insecurity.

I mean, come on.  If you rev the engine at 6500 RPM, your flywheel may explode
and buzz saw your feet off!  Oh no!!!  If you back up in a parking lot, or
drive down the street, your fulcrum pin will fail, causing you to careen into a
telephone pole without warning.  Smash!!!  Your U-joint may fail in your drive
shaft, causing you to either be pole vaulted onto your head or, even better,
cause you to lose your brakes and catch fire at the same time.  Crash Boom!!!
Your ball joints may explode; even if you thought you were doing preventive
maintenance, you have pulled the pin on a hand grenade in your front
suspension.  Screech Kaboom!!!  It's all really quite absurd.  I'm truly
surprised that all you engineers do not understand how damaging this is to the
reputation of this car.

Can you imagine what would happen to public confidence in helicopters if
engineers were to explain how many of the myriad simultaneously moving
components could possibly fail?  What's more surprising is that no one is
saying that these problems are not only tied to our cool Tigers, but to all or
most classic cars of the era, to include Cobras and other highly sought muscle
cars.  But go to a Mustang or Cobra forum and you won't find these dire
warnings of impending doom.  Let's try to at least put strong caveats above our
warnings.  Right?

Mauro