Re: [Tigers] Best distributor for Tiger

To: "Would U. Believe" <mcdangerous@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Best distributor for Tiger
From: THEO SMIT <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:11:44 -0600
If you're going with a stock-ish distributor, then do some parts-bin
engineering to set it up with a mechanical advance of 24 to 26 crankshaft
degrees, and find a vacuum advance unit that has an adjustable limit (some do
this with a hex key through the vacuum port). Then get a set of springs and
weights that let you bring the advance in starting at about 1200 RPM and
all-in at 2500 RPM.
This combination lets you set the initial timing at 12 degrees instead of the
original 6, and bring in the rest of the timing advance sooner, which will
make your off-idle response a bit snappier.

Some (or most) Ford smallblock distributors have two sets of mechanical
advance springs and weights but only one side of the advance plate intercepts
the advance limiting pin. The two sides of each advance plate are ground
differently (and marked with a distributor-degrees value, IIRC) so you can
adjust the distributor mechanical advance limit by just turning the advance
plate 180 degrees over the lower part of the distributor shaft.

Cheers,
Theo