Re: [Tigers] 260 for the 21 century

To: "wsamouce@kc.rr.com" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 260 for the 21 century
From: Owain Lloyd via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:42:44 -0400
Cc: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>

--089e0115f058299c630518e34a4d

Some us build engines for competition where the rules prevent you dumping
any old cheap horsepower in the car and necessitate much more effort and
expense to get power.

That said, I must admit that my tiger (road car) has a 482hp 347. ;)

On Friday, June 19, 2015, Duke Samouce via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> Thats why the 260 that came in my Tiger is sitting on an engine stand
> being restored as a OEM correct display engine.  Was making close to 190 HP
> when pulled.  As you all know, a built 347 now sits in the Tiger making
> ~450HP and many more smiles.  A 260 will never produce much HP no matter
> what you do to it.  Forced induction aside.
>
> Duke
>

> ---- Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > I've notice over the years a desire for many to build (up) a 260 engine
> in
> > the quest for more power. While I can grasp the desire to keep an
> original
> > car - original, it seems the 260 no longer remains original with the
> > modifications applied. So, I ask with nothing more than curiosity (no
> > condemnation) why the pursuit?  Is it the mentioned desire for
> originality
> > (at least to the block/heads that came in the car)? Is it simply the
> quest
> > for the most power out of a 260 (only)? Or???
> >
> > The reason I ask is that my overly practical, frugal nature sees a well
> > chosen, $150 junk yard roller cam 302 as producing a similar power result
> > for significantly less cost.  Now, I do have a 63 Rambler with an
> abysmal 6
> > cylinder motor (cast-in intake trough). And, yes, I've wonder just what
> can
> > be gotten out of that with modifications. But actually doing it goes
> against
> > my practical/frugal nature.
> >
> > Anyway, just curious as to why the 260 over a 302 build if power is the
> > desired result. Especially with the parts scarcity and additional costs.

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/wsamouce@kc.rr.com

--089e0115f058299c630518e34a4d

Some us build engines for competition where the=C2=A0rules prevent you dump=
ing any old cheap horsepower in the car and necessitate much more effort an=
y, June 19, 2015, Duke Samouce via Tigers &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@auto=
x.team.net">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gm=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-le=
ft:1ex">Thats why the 260 that came in my Tiger is sitting on an engine sta=
nd being restored as a OEM correct display engine.=C2=A0 Was making close t=
o 190 HP when pulled.=C2=A0 As you all know, a built 347 now sits in the Ti=
ger making ~450HP and many more smiles.=C2=A0 A 260 will never produce much=
 HP no matter what you do to it.=C2=A0 Forced induction aside.<br>
Duke<br>
---- Tom Witt via Tigers &lt;<a href=3D"javascript:;" onclick=3D"_e(event, =
&#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;tigers@autox.team.net&#39;)">tigers@autox.team.net</a>=
&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; I&#39;ve notice over the years a desire for many to build (up) a 260 e=
ngine in<br>
&gt; the quest for more power. While I can grasp the desire to keep an orig=
inal<br>
&gt; car - original, it seems the 260 no longer remains original with the<b=
r>
&gt; modifications applied. So, I ask with nothing more than curiosity (no<=
br>
&gt; condemnation) why the pursuit?=C2=A0 Is it the mentioned desire for or=
iginality<br>
&gt; (at least to the block/heads that came in the car)? Is it simply the q=
uest<br>
&gt; for the most power out of a 260 (only)? Or???<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The reason I ask is that my overly practical, frugal nature sees a wel=
l<br>
&gt; chosen, $150 junk yard roller cam 302 as producing a similar power res=
ult<br>
&gt; for significantly less cost.=C2=A0 Now, I do have a 63 Rambler with an=
 abysmal 6<br>
&gt; cylinder motor (cast-in intake trough). And, yes, I&#39;ve wonder just=
 what can<br>
&gt; be gotten out of that with modifications. But actually doing it goes a=
gainst<br>
&gt; my practical/frugal nature.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Anyway, just curious as to why the 260 over a 302 build if power is th=
e<br>
&gt; desired result. Especially with the parts scarcity and additional cost=
s.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"javascript:;" onclick=3D"_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;tig=
ers@autox.team.net&#39;)">tigers@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target=3D"_blank">=
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">htt=