Re: Wire wheel Woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire wheel Woes
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 20:59:46 -0400
Hello Christian,
 It sounds to me like you've found a Serious Problem with that wheel/hub,
wear due to dry dusty splines most likely--but this guess comes from what
I've read only, since the only real wire wheels I've owned have been on
motorcycles (Triumphs, of course).

 Since I live in the Dayton, Ohio area, I'll make a sales pitch for the
wheels made by Dayton Wire Wheel, which are the brand carried by TRF,
and which have been made here since before 1920, according to memory.
They were used for years on Indy cars, and on many top-of-the-line cars
as optional equipment.  The Roadster Factory, being a bulk buyer, can
sell them much cheaper than I can buy them right out the factory door.

 The current Dunlops, which may be the make you have, are being made in
India under license and under unknown quality control.

 Dayton Wheel can rebuild your hubs, IF...you know the story there.

 Now you know all that I do about wire wheels, which may be worth ex-
actly what you had to pay to get it...you know what They say about
opinions...

Good Luck, and keep the rubber side down.
Tom Tweed  ak627@dayton.wright.edu
Miami Valley Triumphs; 6-Pack
SW Ohio
TR-250