Re: Wire wheel Woes

To: ak627@dayton.wright.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net, shammy@inmind.com
Subject: Re: Wire wheel Woes
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:10:02 -0400
In a message dated 96-06-04 21:00:40 EDT, ak627@dayton.wright.edu (Tom Tweed)
writes: ( in reply)

>Hello Christian,
> It sounds to me like you've found a Serious Problem with that wheel/hub,
>wear due to dry dusty splines most likely-- snip <

I agree - I went through a similar drill about three years ago.  Wanted to
have my original wire wheels rebuilt.  Sent one to CA to British Wheels and
they said the splines were too badly worn.  Since that appears to be a cast
part it made no sense to rebuild the rest of the wheel.  The splines inside
the hub and on the hub adapter will eventually wear down to the point where
the hub just spins loosely around the adapter.  Dangerous business.

> Since I live in the Dayton, Ohio area, I'll make a sales pitch for the
>wheels made by Dayton Wire Wheel, which are the brand carried by TRF,
>and which have been made here since before 1920, according to memory.
>They were used for years on Indy cars, and on many top-of-the-line cars
>as optional equipment.  The Roadster Factory, being a bulk buyer, can
>sell them much cheaper than I can buy them right out the factory door.<

I bought new ones, made by Dayton, from TRF.  Watch the sales - I saved quite
a bit of money by waiting until they were on sale.  It seems to me that they
go on sale several times a year.  I am completely satisified with the wheels'
quality and looks.  My wife's comment "So - - they look exactly like they
always did"  (I bought the car new in 1964 and she has been looking at it for
all this time)  says it all.

> The current Dunlops, which may be the make you have, are being made in
>India under license and under unknown quality control. <

Agree, I did quite a bit of research before I paid the extra bucks for the
Daytons and my conclusions was that they are worth it.  BUT - remember to
watch for the sales.

> Dayton Wheel can rebuild your hubs, IF...you know the story there.<

Would not recommend that.  Cost would not be much different by the time you
get the hubs rebuilt ( I'm not sure they even do that - see above) and then
the whole wheel rebuilt and painted.

One other thing - if your hubs are worn, so are your hub adaptors.  If you
don't replace the adaptors as well, you will just wear out the new hubs more
quickly.  Sorry, but that will up the ante.

Hope this helps - If I can furnish any more info - feel free.

Art Kelly  64TR4 CT33118L (Original owner  - factory delivery)