Re: Wire wheel Woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, shammy@inmind.com
Subject: Re: Wire wheel Woes
From: kboetzer@Auspex.Com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 09:21:03 -0700
> Mr. Question is here again.
>
> I still don't have a good idea about the RAANNNK noise but I am thinking it
> may just be a very onery thermostat.  I heard the noise today after the car
> was shut off!
>
> While adjusting the brakes, I noticed one of my wheels has some rotational
> play on the hub. Not a good thing me thinks. I would fathom a guess that
> both the hub and the wheel are messed up. Is it going to hurt to run like
> that a while (I guess if it gives way, braking and acceleration may be
> absent from that wheel)
>
> When this happens, do I just lay out big bucks for new wheels and new hubs?
>
> I've heard about rebuilds, but I think one does a rebuild because he has
> good centers.......
>
> As always comments are appreciated.  See ya
>
> Christian Simonsen
> Virginia, USA
> shammy@inmind.com
>
> 1954 TR2 TS1675  long door waiting for attention
>
> 1963? TR4 CT 24093 LO runs like a champ most days

Christian,

Bad news in the wheel dept. Others have posted and I want to add my comment. The
situation will get worse, it will finally degrade to the point of having to cut
the wheel off with a torch. It may come off but usually the splines give up and
the knock off nut screws on REAL tight. It can go the other way depending on
what
your doing at the time. (braking or accelertating)

British Wire Wheel in Santa Cruz CA. has given me terrific service over the
years.
I live just a few miles away (Lucky me!) so I have that prejudice, but I believe
almost all who have dealt with them feel as I do.

They have an 800# so dial 800-555-1212 for 800 information. I just have the
local
# at hand.

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer