Re: Wire wheel Woes

To: shammy@inmind.com
Subject: Re: Wire wheel Woes
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:14:55 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>While adjusting the brakes, I noticed one of my wheels has some rotational
>play on the hub. Not a good thing me thinks. I would fathom a guess that
>both the hub and the wheel are messed up. Is it going to hurt to run like
>that a while (I guess if it gives way, braking and acceleration may be
>absent from that wheel)
>
>When this happens, do I just lay out big bucks for new wheels and new hubs?
>

>Christian Simonsen
>
>1954 TR2 TS1675
>
>1963? TR4 CT 24093 LO

Christian,
 On the RAAANNK noise, I doubt you are looking at a thermostat. Could
very well be water pump. If it is on the TR2 or TR4, most likely, both
have a water pump with a grease zerk. Suggest this approach. Also, try a
little "belt ease" or soap on the fan belts. Humidity such as in your
area can cause belts to "slip" or bind.
 On the rotational "play" on the wheels. Are you referring to front or
rear? Have you eliminated loose wheel bearings if it is the front?
 On splined wires, I have heard of wheel specialty companies who can
build up the splines on the drive hub and recut the splines on the inside
of the wheel hub to restore the fit to original. I'll look around for the
names if you think that could be the problem.
Best Regards,
Tony
###