TR Frame Off or Not?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR Frame Off or Not?
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 16:23:22 -0400 (EDT)
Friends,
Someone wrote that someone said that TR4s and 4As don't get frame rot like
6's.  While I don't know anything at all about the quality of steel used
in the earlier vs. later frames, the different layouts of the 4A and 6
(IRS compatible) frames relative to the early ladder-style 3 and 4 frames
suggests a possible explanation.  Could it be that the mysterious
originator of said quote didn't remember that 4As have the same frame as
6s?  It is commonly recognized that the IRS compatible frame had
weak points front and rear where the suspension attached, and all too
often suffered premature rust ulcers from water trapped in the box
sections. It is my understanding that while the ladder-style frames are by
no means immune to rust they are not as "rust-compromised" as the IRS
version or the IRS frame in a solid rear axle configuration.
        My 4A is miraculously sitting on a 4 frame, and who "offed" it is
a mystery.  The fittings look fresh and the rubber mounts uncracked but
it leaves me wondering what I can do to be sure that the "back-on" was
done properly.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what critical
fasteners should be retorqued or on general quality control that is
possible at the post-op stage?  Thanks in advance from a humble
neophyte.
        Also there is a recent article on "Frame-offing" in the
Moss Motoring publication suggesting a method of winching the body off
the frame from your garage rafters.  With best wishes for the continued
structural integrity of your homes.  I wouldn't call your homeowners
policy on this one, just tell them it was all the snow over the winter.
-Kevin
'67 TR4A (6Mos. and about 8Gs into it so far)