Re: TR Frame Off or Not?

To: gpetrola@prairienet.org, ko3@columbia.edu
Subject: Re: TR Frame Off or Not?
From: Paulsv@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:58:01 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 96-06-13 13:19:56 EDT, gpetrola@prairienet.org (Gregory
Petrolati) writes:

>>      Also there is a recent article on "Frame-offing" in the
>> Moss Motoring publication suggesting a method of winching the body off
>> the frame from your garage rafters.  With best wishes for the continued

I removed the tub from the frame of my TR3 by myself with no problem, and
plan to put it back on the same way.  I jacked up the body and frame
together, put a couple of 4x4's under the sills (running the length of the
sills, with a slot routed out for the center lip of the sills) put jack
stands under the 4x4's, and lowered the frame from the tub.  Once the frame
was removed, I made a couple of sawhorse like stands to go across the car
under the 4x4's, which left the tub at a comfortable working height.  To move
the tub, I fastened a couple of 4x4's across the abovementioned 4x4's, with
half lap joints and carriage bolts, so it couldn't rack, and put large
casters on the bottom of these bottom 4x4's.  I also built a wooden support
structure on top of the tub which held the top of the tub in alignment, by
bolting to the hinge mount holes for the bonnet and boot hinges. I did this
AFTER I had replaced the floorpans and repaired a few weak spots on the
sills.  It's a solid arrangement which allows the tub to be moved.  When I
had to trailer it, I tied the bottom and top wood frames together with those
long winchable straps that movers use.