Re: TR Frame Off or Not?

To: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: TR Frame Off or Not?
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 07:50:37 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Kevin O'Driscoll wrote:

>       Also there is a recent article on "Frame-offing" in the
> Moss Motoring publication suggesting a method of winching the body off
> the frame from your garage rafters.  With best wishes for the continued

        I took the body off my TR4 when I was in the process of rebuilding
        it (note I said "REBUILT" not "RESTORED"). I used an engine hoist
        borrowed from a neighbor to lower the body to the frame. The TR4
        body is not heavy... just bulky. Once the fenders, bonnet and bootlid
        are removed, it can be easily lifted off the frame by two or three
        people. I would recommend that you leave the doors on and closed
        (not like I did),so that the tub doesn't flex.

        BTW, I had to take off the `4's tub as it was so badly rusted it
        could not be salvaged. I found a TR4A tub in California which now
        resides under the Green Man's exterior steel (actually, the only
        original panels on the car are the bonnet and doors).

        Good luck,

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois