Re: arcing plug leads

To: CBrown1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: arcing plug leads
From: "Chris Boston" <spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 08:41:42 +0100 "Re: arcing plug leads" (Jun 12, 10:05pm)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Thanks Charlie,

> 1. The spark to #1 plug going to ground instead of to #1 plug would have
> caused the #1 hole, with little or no combustion,  to run a little rich,  to
> the point of damage, probably not.

You may have missed it, but I recently put out a message to the effect that I
was producing alot of black exhaust smoke when I was in either first or
reverse, the only reply I had suggested that I could be running rich.  Could
this faulty lead be the cause?

> 2. The leakage from the lead was probably due to age and basic breakdown of
> the wire's insulation. There's such a wide range of plug wiring quality and
> under hood (er, bonnet) conditions (heat, oil, etc.) that wires can fail with
> as little at 12,000 miles. Typically, carbon core wires should be changed, at
> the outside, at about 25,000 miles or two years.

I replaced the leads about 9 months (4000 miles) ago with Bosch leads from my
local auto-parts store, is that quick for breakdown, and could something be
causing it?

regards,

Chris.

--
-- 1977 Spitfire 1500...Everyday/Only Driver.