Re: arcing plug leads

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: arcing plug leads
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:57:40
> Morning folks,
>
> An interesting thing happened to me last night when I got home from work.  I
> could here a ticking noise coming from the engine bay, so I lifted the bonnet
> and the tick went away, I closed the bonnet and the tick came back.  Having
> donned my sherlock holmes DIY investigation kit, I discovered that my number
> one plug lead was arcing to the bonnet.  So a quick call to Halfords on my way
> to work this morning (eleven quid for a set of leads) and a roadside swap
>cured
> all known ills.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Has the arcing caused any damage to anything else?
>
> 2. Did something else cause the breakdown in the lead (ie is this a sypmtom
>and
> not the cause)?
>
> Any advice appreciated,
>
> Chris.
>
> --
> -- 1977 Spitfire 1500...Everyday/Only Driver.
> --
Hi Chris,

Whilst I'm no expert on this, I have had the same problem on other
cars I've owned. It's usually caused by old knackered plug leads and
replacing them should cure the problem. I think the leads just
deteriorate with age. Nothing else should have been affected by the
arcing.

Regards,

Jonathan

'77 Spit. 1500........also everyday/only driver

*************************************
Dr J.E.Miles
School of Biological Sciences
University of Birmingham