Re: arcing plug leads

To: spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk
Subject: Re: arcing plug leads
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 00:09:58 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>You may have missed it, but I recently put out a message to the effect that
>was producing alot of black exhaust smoke when I was in either first or
>reverse, the only reply I had suggested that I could be running rich.  Could
>this faulty lead be the cause?

Chris,

Sorry for the delay, I didn't pick up last night.

Anytime you have black smoke coming from the exhaust, you're running too
rich, whether it's from a foul single cylinder or from a bad tune on the
carbs or engine. If you weren't having a black smoke problem until you
noticed this problem, chances are a bad plug wire is the problem. Was there a
rubbed spot on the wire that could have reduced the insulating qualities in
that particular area? A quick replacement of the questionable wire will
answer all. Do you still have the wires from the last replacement, or any
length secondary wire that will temporarily fill the bill?

>I replaced the leads about 9 months (4000 miles) ago with Bosch leads from
my
>local auto-parts store, is that quick for breakdown, and could something be
>causing it?

It could have been a defective wire coming off the shelf. Simple rubber will
deteriorate just sitting there on the shelf. Even the silicone insulation
used in modern wires will fail if damaged during packing, shipping, or
installation. High tension voltage, like water, will seek the path of least
resistance. If there were a weak, or worn area, voltage will find an
alternate ground.

Could something else be causing a quick breakdown? Not likely in that short a
run. Like I said before, grease, oil, and high temps are the cause for an
early demise. My advice, swap out the wire(s), consider it a fluke, and go on
with life (but, check for that worn spot!)

Hope that helps,
Charlie B.
Capital Triumph Register