Re: Shopping For A TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shopping For A TR6
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 00:56:18 -0400
Hello Philip,

When a former co-worker was selling everything following divorce #3, he
was a few weeks away from moving out of his (sold) house but still had
not found a buyer for his TR-250.  Most people had never heard of that
model, in fact, 8 yrs ago I hadn't heard of it either.  I did have a fine-
looking Triumph Trident 750cc (3-cyl) motorcycle, though, so perhaps in
desperation my old co-worker talked me into having a look at his car.
He said it had a 6-cyl engine but wasn't a TR-6 or a GT-6, both of which
I had seen driven by other friends at other times and would have known
on sight. Memories of my first car, a '69 Spitsmoke, were tainted by
many weekends of unplanned repairs, requests for help from mechanically-
inclined friends, cancelled dates, etc., but for some reason I liked the
look of the 250, the strong engine, the re-done interior, and ended up
as its new owner.

I didn't know what the engine number range should have been, and didn't
care, in fact I still don't. I didn't buy the car to show, in fact, I'm
still not sure what the Concours d'elegance is all about, except that
it's French and most people spell it wrong, and pronounce it wrong, too;
it should be `con-core' , silent s (French spelling is even worse than
English, compared to pronunciation, but we won't get into that).
I bought the car to drive, and learned later that only about 8500 were
made before the TR-6 came into production.  I would like overdrive, but
this car doesn't have it, so I'll just go with taller tires; I rarely
take it onto the freeway, so it's plenty fast for the two-lane scenic
routes anyway.

I think your reference to the old-lady poster was apt; Mr Right never
comes along, even the `perfect' car won't stay perfect for long.

The way I see it, we sorta found each other, warts and all, and every
problem that has turned up has been while the car is at or close to home;
it has never left me stranded, so I won't leave it stranded, either.
This may not be the `perfect' relationship, but hey, it works for us !

Tom Tweed
TR-250
Miami Valley TRiumphs
SW Ohio

As a man was falling down a skyscraper, people near open windows on the
floors he passed heard him say, "So far, so good.....So far, so good"