Re: Removing Brake drum screws...

To: tomstory@slip.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing Brake drum screws...
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 00:33:27 -0400

>On my recently aquired GT6 the rear screws holding on the brake drums are
>rusted solid. They will not budge even with a good soaking of liquid wrench
>and quite a few number of hits from an impact driver. What are my options?
>Can I carefully drill of the screw heads to pull the drum? I'll probably
>replace the drums anyways, so no great loss...Any other options?

The drums are not the real risk -- if you mess up drilliing the screws out,
you will harm the threads in the axle flange :-(

Try heating the screws (and obviously everything around them, but concentrate
on the screws) to a glowing red.  This will almost certainly burn out any
rust and they should screw out OK.  Try not to heat the axle flange any more
than necessary -- if you have one, and oxy-acetylene welding torch is ideal.
 Heat as fast as you can without burning the heads off the screws, or they'll
have to be drilled.

Good luck !!
-Karl