Re: TR6 or Spitfire for driver.

To: zapper@proton.com
Subject: Re: TR6 or Spitfire for driver.
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:48:53 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< ... would I be correct in assuming that a
 Spitfire would be a better purchase than a TR6? >>

Zapper,

You could be starting the string to end all strings here. I'll throw in my
biased opinion and get the %&^# out of the way.

The TR6 and Spit are two totally different cars. You don't say if you've ever
driven a Spit. In stock configuration the TR6 will be faster through the
gears in a straight line. The Spit pull more conering g's. Because of the
popularity (although Spits are catching up) TR6s have a better selection of
parts and accessories. If you like to work on your own engine, Spit's are
easier to get at and even an oil change is easier.  From strictly a comfort
standpoint, I'm 6'2" and I've got more leg room in a Spit. Although, in all
fairness, all the 6s I've tried were owned by shorter drivers and maybe the
seats were kinda "stuck" further forward.

Either can be made reliable as a driver. As far as "fixability", due to
smaller and lighter components, jobs like clutch replacements are a bit
easier on Spits. But, on the other hand the TR6 components tend to be a bit
"beefier" and maybe a little stronger. Things like tires are cheaper on Spits
because they're 13" instead of 15".  Although, I've never worn out a set of
tires on a Spit, because they get hard and dry rot before the tread wears
off.

Finally, there's the "toss-ability" factor. TR6s are great open road cars,
whereas Spits (at least without the benefit of O/D) tend to be a bit busy at
highway speeds. But, give 'em a curvey road and you easily become at one with
the car. You wear it more that getting into it.

That's it. I've had my say. For you it really comes down to personal
preference. The only way to know is to drive a couple and judge for yourself.
You'll probably either love 'em or hate 'em. That seems to be the way it is.

Have fun,
Charlie Brown
Capital Triumph Register