Re: TR6 Fan belt replacement

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Fan belt replacement
From: "David and Kay Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 14:46:24 +1200

----------

> >Ok...before I screw anything up...
> >
> >I might as well change it now as it clearly needs it.....
> >
> >Is there a LAM (list approved method) for changing the fan belt
> >on these beasts?
> >
> >Regards,
> >teej
> >--
> >TJ Noto              Palo Alto               CA      USA
>http://www.rahul.net/tjn
> >Owned by:    95 Ducati 900ss         65 MGB  87 BMW 325is    70 Triumph TR6
> >"Once again Yankee ingenuity Triumphs over British craftsmenship"
> >

> Heh, heh, must be talking about the TR6.
>
> Lookout front cross member, here comes da' wrench!!
>
> ###

It sounds as though Triumph (Leyland / British Leyland) must have had a
particularily mean streak in them when it came to pulley belts around this
era.

I have a Triumph 2500S sedan, which came equipped with power steering. The
belt for that is an absolute horror to replace. There are three bolts on
the P/S pump that need loosening, the worst being the hinge bolt. To get
at that requires an open-ended spanner and ther is enough room to turn the
nut 1/12 (just) of a turn at a time. All this while trying your hardest
not to skin your knuckles on the vicous (vicious more like) coupled fan,
nor drop the spanner. The other two bolts are not much better. Then the
belt has to be refitted... Guess what has to come off to replace the fan
belt.

What is more, when sliding the belt(s) over the previously mentioned fan,
the gap between it and the radiator seems to be always less than the
narrowest section of the belt(s) - more potential for skinned knuckles...

As the car was fitted ex factory (in New Zealand anyway) with a Kenlowe
electric fan, the vicous coupled unit seemd rather superfluous, guess what
got flicked last time the radiator was removed for a flush out!!! (No, it
was not the power steering pump)

Life for the (home) mechanic was never meant to be easy, I guess...

David Greed
1979 2500S