Re: sheet metal

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: sheet metal
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 22:06:13 -0500
Hello Dan,

This question, or essentially the same one, was kicked around a while
back, maybe two months ago.  Back then I suggested that maybe all the
floor pans, for example, were coming off just one set of stamping dies,
and going to all the various vendors for them to price as they chose.
   I never heard a definitive answer at the time, and I don't have one
now, I just have an idea of what it costs to `tool up' for something as
large as a floor pan, assuming that the original dies were worn out,
scrapped by Leyland years ago, or are lost in a warehouse somewhere.
  It's many thousands of dollars, so I would guess that given the fairly
small number of stampings sold in a typical year, there's probably not
much competition for whoever has the working sets of dies for a given
part.  That could be good news or bad.

   Anybody out there know where replacement sheet metal is coming from ?

Still curious,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio