Re: sheet metal

To: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Subject: Re: sheet metal
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@fn.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:53:03 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tom Tweed wrote:

> Hello Dan,
>
> This question, or essentially the same one, was kicked around a while
> back, maybe two months ago.  Back then I suggested that maybe all the
> floor pans, for example, were coming off just one set of stamping dies,
> and going to all the various vendors for them to price as they chose.
>    I never heard a definitive answer at the time, and I don't have one
> now, I just have an idea of what it costs to `tool up' for something as
> large as a floor pan, assuming that the original dies were worn out,
> scrapped by Leyland years ago, or are lost in a warehouse somewhere.
>   It's many thousands of dollars, so I would guess that given the fairly
> small number of stampings sold in a typical year, there's probably not
> much competition for whoever has the working sets of dies for a given
> part.  That could be good news or bad.
>
>    Anybody out there know where replacement sheet metal is coming from ?
>
> Still curious,
> Tom Tweed
> SW Ohio

Tom:

Recently acquired both left and right floor pans, as well as inner
sills and sill reinforcements.  Mine are all very nice, clean
stampings.  All had stickers in place indicating "STEELCRAFT - Made in
England", and also had smaller "Austin Rover" stickers.  Sill members
were painted black; floors were primed red oxide.

Martin Libhart
1970 Spitfire Mk. 3
FDU 75026 L