Re: Tach Readings

To: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Subject: Re: Tach Readings
From: Daniel Pruzan <dpruzan@nearinc.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 15:20:01 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Lawrence Schilling wrote:

> I was driving around with a friend the other day in my Stag with the TR6
> engine and he looks over at the dash and says, your tach's not right.  This
> friend has previously owned a TR4 and now a Porsche 356.  I hadn't thought
> much about it since I don't drive my car very hard but since he mentioned it
> I ran it up through the gears and the tach never went over 3500.
>
> He says, and I'm sure he's right, that it should have read more like 4500.
>
> So now I'm wondering.  Since the tach itself is a Stag tach and the engine
> is a TR6 what does this all mean?
>
> Any ideas out there.
>
> lchillin@siu.edu
> '73 STRag

Lawrence,

I would assume the 73 tach is very similar to the one in my 71 Stag, but
I may be wrong.  If it is the same, 1) it is electric, and 2) there is a
calibration screw on the back of the case that you can adjust.  It may be
possible to use a handheld tachometer as a reference while you adjust
this screw.  You may not be able to get the Stag tach accurate over the
full RPM range, but you can set it to be close at an RPM value that you
are the most interested in (i.e. highway cruise, redline, etc).  Good
luck.

Dan Pruzan
71 Stag
Santa Clara, CA