Re: Exploding Spitfires

To: Paul Nelson <aloder@websgi.icomnet.com>
Subject: Re: Exploding Spitfires
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 16:18:20 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, odd@triumphclub.se
Paul,
my Spitfire was rearended by a FIAT 128 once [By my friends girl-
friend!!! Long story, please don't ask... ;-( ] and subsequently
had to spend some time in the body shop... It survived the shunt
rather good, actually. I have pictures to prove it if You want...
The only thing I can say is that You should switch the spare
wheel for one of those bottles with gas and "slime" in them...
By pure chance I had removed the spare that same morning for some
reason, and that prevented the tire from being pushed into the
petrol tank. Now the rear of the Spit acted as a modern car,
collapsing upon impact and absorbing most of the force.
[The back rest of the drivers seat also took a blow when abruptly
trying to accelerate 95 kg of me forward... Had to be welded also...]

Hope this info is useful to You. Your wife can rest assured the
Spitfire [without the spare wheel!] is as safe as can be in a
accident from behind.
Rolling it over is something entirely different...  ;-) Makes the
windscreen just about three inches high. Been there, done that too.
Not on my own car though, thankfully.

Yours
Odd

PS May I say I support You in Your political incorrectness...
   My ex is also a Triumph nut - but it still doesn't make
   her one tiny bit more human...
   So don't apologise for Your wife, she might become Your ex
   in shorter time than one can imagine.  ;-(

PPS I've donned my asbestos suit... Go flaming!!!

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,