FW: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: FW: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 02 May 1997 14:51:38 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Andrew Mace" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
To: Don Haw
Subject: Re: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings
[snip]My question is, What tool do I use to get the hub off to get to the
bearings?
Then, How do I replace the wheel bearings?  What kind of grease, etc?[snip]

Don, the consensus of opinion is to remove the axle assembly complete from
the car, go to a reputable machine shop and let them get it apart for you.
However, from what you describe, it might not be worth the effort. Once you
hear that much noise, chances are the axle is already useless (since it
serves as the bearing race). Perhaps you'll be lucky, but be prepared to
start looking for a new axle! :-(
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Don - I have to agree with Andy, however, I might add don't be too surprised
if the machine shop can't get the hub off the axle.  There is (or was) a
special tool called a Churchill Tool made by Triumph especially for hub
removal.  But good luck finding one today.  Some members of the list (Barry
Schwartz?/Ralph Jannelli?) have fabricated their own version and apparently
it works pretty good at yanking the hub off without damaging it or the axle.
 You might ask them for details.  I pulled mine off after several DAYS of
cursing, bashing, heating, cooling and cranking on a massive gear puller
before one of them actually bent (it's on my office credenza being used as a
paper weight right now).  Trust me, it is not a job for the faint of heart.
 Good luck to you though and let us know how it turns out.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe