RE: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings
From: "PAUL LOGUE" <GPAULOGUE@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 97 06:04:58 UT

----------
From:   owner-triumphs@autox.team.net on behalf of Vincenti, Ross
Sent:   Friday, May 02, 1997 5:51 PM
To:     Triumph Group
Cc:     Andrew Mace
Subject:        FW: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings

Andrew Mace wrote:
To: Don Haw
[snip]My question is, What tool do I use to get the hub off to get to the
bearings?
Then, How do I replace the wheel bearings?  What kind of grease, etc?[snip]

Don, the consensus of opinion is to remove the axle assembly complete from
the car, go to a reputable machine shop and let them get it apart for you.
However, from what you describe, it might not be worth the effort. Once you
hear that much noise, chances are the axle is already useless (since it
serves as the bearing race). Perhaps you'll be lucky, but be prepared to
start looking for a new axle! :-(
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Don - I have to agree with Andy, however, I might add don't be too surprised
if the machine shop can't get the hub off the axle.  There is (or was) a
special tool called a Churchill Tool made by Triumph especially for hub
removal.  But good luck finding one today.  Some members of the list (Barry
Schwartz?/Ralph Jannelli?) have fabricated their own version and apparently
it works pretty good at yanking the hub off without damaging it or the axle.
 You might ask them for details.  I pulled mine off after several DAYS of
cursing, bashing, heating, cooling and cranking on a massive gear puller
before one of them actually bent (it's on my office credenza being used as a
paper weight right now).  Trust me, it is not a job for the faint of heart.
 Good luck to you though and let us know how it turns out.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe

Don,

Here's my four cents:

I guess I was lucky with my hub. I have found that a good quality 3 or 4
fingered pulley remover will pull the hub off. (Do not stand in front of the
puller, of course). But as others have suggested, the problem will be a
damaged axle since the axle is the race for the "inner" bearing, which is a
$3.00 needle bearing.  I love my Spit, but this bit of engineering is
certainly a weak area in the rear drive train.  That is why I grease the rear
bearings about every 30 days.  The outer bearing is less likely to be giving
you trouble since it is a "regular" wheel bearing.
By the way, if you do wind up putting this back together yourself, be sure and
use the proper torque on the axle nut or you will be doing this all over again
in about 200 miles.  Perhaps if you let a reputable shop re-assemble the axle,
you will be ahead of the game. Then you can re-install the unit in the car.

Good luck,

Paul Logue
77 Spit