Re: FW: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: FW: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings
From: Rick deOlazarra <cattail@slip.net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 16:00:55 -0700
Cc: "Triumph Group (Return requested)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Andrew Mace (Return requested)" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Vincenti, Ross wrote:

> Andrew Mace wrote:
> To: Don Haw
> Subject: Re: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings
> [snip]My question is, What tool do I use to get the hub off to get to the
> bearings?
> Then, How do I replace the wheel bearings?  What kind of grease, etc?[snip]
>
> Don, the consensus of opinion is to remove the axle assembly complete from
> the car, go to a reputable machine shop and let them get it apart for you.
> However, from what you describe, it might not be worth the effort. Once you
> hear that much noise, chances are the axle is already useless (since it
> serves as the bearing race). Perhaps you'll be lucky, but be prepared to
> start looking for a new axle! :-(
> +++++++++++++++++++++++
> Don - I have to agree with Andy, however, I might add don't be too surprised
> if the machine shop can't get the hub off the axle.  There is (or was) a
> special tool called a Churchill Tool made by Triumph especially for hub
> removal.  But good luck finding one today.  Some members of the list (Barry
> Schwartz?/Ralph Jannelli?) have fabricated their own version and apparently
> it works pretty good at yanking the hub off without damaging it or the axle.
>  You might ask them for details.  I pulled mine off after several DAYS of
> cursing, bashing, heating, cooling and cranking on a massive gear puller
> before one of them actually bent (it's on my office credenza being used as a
> paper weight right now).  Trust me, it is not a job for the faint of heart.
>  Good luck to you though and let us know how it turns out.
>
> Ross D. Vincenti
> 64 Spitfire 4
> 64 Porsche 356C Coupe

Don:
  I found myself laughing knowingly while reading Ross's comments on his
"fun" time removing the axle shafts on his Spitfire..., and,
unfortunate-
ly, that pretty much describes a common experience when removing them.
It took me several days, also, to remove mine; I'd turn the nut on the
puller until I couldn't stand the mental strain of waiting for it to
give, and gingerly try again later, until, finally, the thing exploded
off, flying between my legs and putting a nice gash in a workbench leg.
  I would suggest that you buy or rent a slide-hammer to coax it out;
the
only problem you may have to solve here is to find the right piece to
attach the slide-hammer to that will accomodate the bolt pattern of the
Spitfire wheel nut studs.

Rick '74 Spitfire