Re: FW: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings

To: tambrose@tir.com (Tom Ambrose)
Subject: Re: FW: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings
From: Tom Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 08:53:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 09:26 PM 5/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
 Rear wheel wabble..............

>>Side to side, or round and round?
>
>Side to side, I put a stiff tape measure on a box perpendicular to a ridge
>of the tire and measured the total difference. When I did same to wheel rim,
>difference was about 1/8 inch.

There is a strong liklyhood that the flange is a big off.   Also that the
rims are not true as well.

Rims can be trued up at the shop.   Expensive.

Try this.   Put on the wheel, spin, take note where the high spot is.

Take the wheel off, rotate the wheel one lug nut, spin, take note of the
high spot.

Do this four times.

Does the high spot change?   If so you have a flange that is off.

If it is always EXACTLY the same then it is just the wheel.

If it changes so that it is better or worse in terms of amount of "out" then
there is a combination of flange and wheel.     (this is the most likely)

Pick the position of the wheel on the flange that is best and be happy.

(the alternative is to re-true/replace the wheel and/or flange)

Thomas Howard
LUSD, (619) 390-2627
('72 Triumph GT-6; and a good bit of USA iron)