Re: Stopping oil pan leak

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stopping oil pan leak
From: "Michael Bayrock" <michael_bayrock@bctinet.bctransit.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:18:28 -0700
     All this talk about washers on the oil pan reminded me of a bodge that
     a buddy and I performed on his Chev 350 about 15 years ago.

     We were putting the oil pan back on, and we overtorqued (and snapped)
     a bolt.  There wasn't enough of the bolt to grab onto, so we tried an
     easy-out and promptly snapped that too.

     Our bodge was to go to the local performance shop and get some 'valve
     cover hold downs'.  These are about 4 inch long chromed steel strips
     with a bolt hole in the middle.  They are used to apply even pressure
     on the valve cover to prevent leaks.

     A good gooping up with liquid gasket, a couple of these hold downs on
     either side of the broken bolt, and the fix held until the Chev was
     written off in a hit-and-run.

     Michael
     michael_bayrock@bctransit.com
     71 GT6++ (waking up)