Re: Dash Board Finish

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dash Board Finish
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 3 Jul 97 14:02:01
Michael Fatsi wrote:

>>My buddy just bought a new veneer dash for his TR-6 from TRF. He wants
to finish it to add a bit of lustre. I remember that Spar varnish was
reccommended by some, but I am fielding opinions on what others think is
the best, and most durable finish.<<

I came across this same problem when I fabricated a solid walnut dask for my
Spit.   I tried spar urethane, but no matter what I did, the finish was lumpy
and
lousy.  I took it off and applied simple Tung oil to the dash, which provides
water
and U-V protection.  It can be buffed to a sheen, and thought it has to be
reapplied a couple times a year, but I think it looks a lot better than other
finishes I have seen -- allows you to see the texture of the wood.  Available
at most large home centers.

--
Martin Secrest