Re: Valance??

To: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Valance??
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 07:35:44 -0400 "Valance??" (Jul 9, 7:51pm)
> Subject: Valance??
[snip]
> Anyway, my question is this, (and forgive my screetching ignorance):
> While removing the front bumper on the GT6 I noticed it had a "valance"
> of sorts that bolted to the front crossmember at three points and was
> located immediately below the plastic grill...   It sort of finished off
> the opening below the grill and covered that frame crossmember...  I was
> going to salvage it, but it was really in poor shape so I passed, but
> I'm wondering if my 77 Spit is supposed to have a similar piece? I've
> consulted the Vicky Brit catalog, and they have the bracket and the
> hardware, but they don't list the piece itself..  My Spit has the
> plastic chin spoiler, and I've always thought it looked sort of
> unfinished where this valance would go.  Am I supposed to have one?!?!
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
>
> http://www.jacksonville.se.mediaone.net/~suchak/toys.htm (pictures with
> the old bumpers and those UGLY big over-riders)
>-- End of excerpt from SUCHAK

John,

The '77 wouldn't have had the valance, only the spoiler. ISTR the first
year of the spoiler was '74. Back when I first got my Spit, (1975),
the DPO had damaged the valance beyond repair. I checked with the dealer
at that time, and the valance was around $10 less than the spoiler
but would have to be prepped and painted. I decided to go with the
spoiler instead. I have always thought the spoiler looked better than
the valance, and had the additional edge of directing more air into the
grille.

Cheers,

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net