Re: TR6 Cam problem

To: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Cam problem
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 15:09:39 -0500
> Keith Ehrlich wrote:
>
>  Listers-
>
>  After a great deal of wrestling with getting fuel issues corrected on
> my weber-
>  downdrafted, pertronix/sport coiled  but otherwise stock TR6, the
> mechanic has
>  diagnosed a worn cam problem ( mileage on car not documented so
> odometer reading
>  irrelevant).  He states ( I haven't yet seen for myself)he's
> measured  varying
>  lifter measurements that indicates worn cam and, in his view,
> explains why he
>  can't get the engine to run close to right  without having to set
> carbs overly
>  rich.I 've been driving it and it runs strong under acceleration but
> rough at
>  steady speeds or at idle, no matter whas done with timing or carb
> settings.  He
>  recommends replacing with stock cam since I intend this to be a daily
> driver,
>  new lifters, chain, tensioner and maybe sprockets if wear is
> indicated. He feels
>  that other aspects of engine are strong ( compression, oil pressure,
> general
>  feel and sound) so this should hold me for 1-3 years while I prepare
> financially
>  and time wise for a total rebuild if I go that route.
>
>  Does this diagnosis make sense?  Does an entire valve job as well
> make sense at
>  this juncture just because I can, though there are no symptoms of bad
> valves(so
>  he says anyway)?
>
>  Keith Ehrlich

    I had a similar problem that was caused by a worn Distributor. This
was after rebuilding the engine (spun a main bearing) and changing the
carbs to webers. It still ran rough and ran a bit warm. After I changed
the distributor with a rebuilt one the engine ran 10 times better. I
would recommend borrowing a buddies distributor to test with.

--
Roger Helman                  71 TR6 CC67866L
Digimation Inc.               http://deepthought.digimation.com/rogerh/