Re: TR6 Cam problem

To: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Cam problem
From: Keith Ehrlich <75452.105@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 10 Jul 97 19:00:13 EDT
Roger-

Help me out here because you may be right.  Mechanic has told me distributor is
worn and wobbles for sure. I installed the pertronix ignitor electronic
ignition, which improved the situation some but he still reports the timing is
not rock solid on his scope-sparks are still jumping around. I would have
thought that the distributor wear would be basically irrelevant with the
electronic ignition as wobble and cam lobe wear would not affect the magnetic
field pickup of the electronic ignition, but I'm a real novice at this aspect.
Explain to me how the other aspects of the distributor would affect the lack of
smoothness of idle  or cruising speeds, yet provide a nice strong power curve
under acceleration.  I might not be able to borrow a distributor as I'm
sufficiently new to not be as locally connected in this as I really need, so an
informed bet on aquality rebuilt distributor when the existing one is known to
be worn mightbest preceed a bet on a cam job, dollar wise- ( like $300 vs
$1,000+). I can do the distributor swap but not capable of doing th cam job
myself.

Thanks

keith Ehrlich