Re: Greetings - New GT6 owner - Gearbox additives

To: NJM@isvr.soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Greetings - New GT6 owner - Gearbox additives
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 16 Jul 97 8:34:34
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Neil wrote:

>>I am new to the list and have bought a 69 GT6 mk2 about 1 month ago.
It is a valencia blue in about A2 condition.<<
[snip]
>>1) The box is quite noisy and crunchy in 3rd.<<

Don¹t know that much can be done about that (except to make sure your
tunnel is insulated, and your shifter boot is intact -- to keep down the noise!)
The GT6 gearbox is the reputed Achilles heel on the car, though it was
moderately
improved for the Mk 2.  A rebuild, if you opt for it, should run about $500 ...
NOS new, if you can find it, more than twice that.  Sorry to be the messenger
on this
one ...

>>2) It really is quite a warm place to be!  Any ideas for cutting down
the heat?<<

A new GT6 owner myself, I posed the same question last week.  Consensus is that
you should make sure you tunnel insulation is intact (hmm... that sounds
familiar);
if not, mylar-backed bubble insulation works well on heat and noise.  I found a
spray adhesive (3M General Trim) useful when I installed two layers of same in
my
Spit.  That said, you will notice that some heat on both the Spit and GT6 seeps
through the front of the door -- a lot of it is coming through the hole for the
door check strap.  You might try stuffing this hole with some sort of insulation
from either side of the door jamb.  I believe the hole cuts through
to the engine bay (front) side, which is the more logical place to block it
off, since you
don*t have the check strap in the way.  Good luck.  And as a veteran of all of
two weeks now, may I be the first to say, ªWelcome to Club GT6!ª

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 III