Re: Ballast or bilge water ???

To: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Ballast or bilge water ???
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:25:22 -0400
Cc: edgr@mbari.org, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Bill Wood wrote:
> Is the stock (original equipment) ignition on a 1978 TR7 California
> model ballasted (build date 3/78)?  If it can't be determined by year
> model how does one tell by inspection?

  One "general" way to tell is to look at the + side of
the coil.

  If the engine is ballasted, there will be two wires on
the + side of the coil. One will be the running power
supply, it'll be about 6V, and will come from someplace
deep in the harness.

  The other is the starting supply, it's easy to spot
because it comes from the solenoid. This is switched
by the solenoid to provide a full 12V for big sparks
at starting. This wire is, on a few cars I have seen
including mine, not part of any harness so it's
easy to see.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada