Spit1500, Speedometer problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit1500, Speedometer problem
From: romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk (Romano Kroemer)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:53:38 +0100 (BST)
Hi all,

My speedometer stopped working recently on my Spit1500. While driving, from
  one second to the other the needle fell from ~40mph to zero and stayed
  there. The mileage counters (or how ever they are called) do not work
  anymore, either.

What have I done so far: Disengaged the speedometer from the speedometer
  cable (what was the average hand size for mechanics when the Spit-dashboard/
  instrument setup was designed?), pulled out the inner cable. The cable seems
  to be o.k. It does not look like being broken and has a flattened end (I have
  not seen a speedometer inner cable before) where it is supposed to engage
  in the overdrive pinion gear (right expression?). Then I checked the
  speedometer itself by inserting a screwdriver instead of the cable and
  turning it. The needle responded as well as the trip mileage counter. The
  last test I did was to insert the inner cable fully again (it appeared to
  engage also at the overdrive end) and to drive the car and to check whether
  it turns or not. It did not.

According to my opinion everything points to a problem at the overdrive end.

Now the question: What next? Any other diagnostics to run before I go through
  the "working through the transmission tunnel" procedure in order to have
  a look at the other end (where it is connected to the overdrive). Is there
  any trick to avoid this seemingly tedious procedure (take out the seats,
  etc. ....).

If I have to go through the "working through the transmission tunnel"
  procedure, are there any things to consider/are there any advices. The
  Haynes manual is rather unclear about the procedure to disconnect the
  gear leaver (at least to me, a rather unexperienced "mechanic"), especially
  when it contains the overdrive switch. Any detailed description of this
  procedure would be higlhy appreciated.

What else should I consider?

Cheers
Romano
Spit1500
Oxford UK

PS: Many thanks to those who replied to my "radio installation" question.
  I finally installed a stock radio in the hole (which is too high) under
  the dashboard by supporting the radio with a piece of wood, works fine,
  looks good. The loudspeakers I mounted in the rear panel. I took rather
  "flat" ones, 5.9 cm of depth. In order to accomodate them well and to gain
  also some resonance body I inserted some "filling material" between the
  panel and the metal where it is bolted onto, thereby moving it some cm's
  more to the front. Visually there is no difference, but soundwise!
  I went for an antenna which I could mount underneath the passengers
  glove box. (O.k. I admit, I'm not a purist)

PSPS: I think this list is great!!!!!!