Re: GT6 gets a visit from the Prince

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: GT6 gets a visit from the Prince
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:36:25 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> The Lucas alternator (generator?) on my GT6 appears to be giving up the ghost.
> While I will investigate this further with the voltmeter, I am left to wonder
>whether
> it is necessary to replace the Lucas unit with ... more LUCAS.  Is there a
>Delco
> compatible??

I've just read Richard Ceraldi's reply to you about the relative ease in
finding replacement parts, and using my situation as an example (and I
do thank Richard for his help), but the flip side of the story is that
the alternator quit thirty miles north of Snyder, TX [for those of you
not familiar with Texas geography, that is the precise middle of
nowhere] and no replacement could be found in Snyder, Sweetwater or
Abilene, which required getting to Ft. Worth on the battery. (!)

If one lives near a fairly large metropolitan area, I do think LUCAS
replacement parts can be had fairly easily and at not too dear a cost.
But for anyone else, it's a bit like walking into a NAPA store and
asking for repair parts for space shuttle fuel cells. <g>

While wandering around the parking lots at the VTR, I noticed something
I'd never realized had been on TRs--a British AC Delco alternator, which
as I recall the owner saying _was_ stock for a period of time (late
TR250-early TR6, something like that). It would not surprise me that the
mount is virtually the same as for the Lucas alternator. The unit looks
much like a standard US AC Delco alternator, but the case seems a little
softer and rounder in places. The owner of the car told me that when the
alternator quit, he took it into an authorized AC Delco rebuilder,
expecting the worst, and they said, sure, same-same, $29 to rebuild it.
So, you can probably keep it British, and have your Delco, too, if you
could find one of those items. It just wouldn't be _as_ stock.... <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....