RE: Jackstand placement

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'CAMHI ALAN'" <camhi@symbol.com>
Subject: RE: Jackstand placement
From: "Nicholls, Clark" <cnicholl@lawson.epri.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:41:07 -0400
Perhaps you are the type of person who should not put a car up on stands
and crawl underneath.  I know a couple of fellows who didn't live to
regret it!  Sad but true.

Basically try to place the stands similar to the wheels, at the 4
corners of the car and under the frame or suspension.  If the ground
surface is subject to the stands sinking in, make 1/2 or 3/4" plywood
"coasters" to place under the stands (I do this on my asphalt driveway
since the stands like to sink in).  Make sure it is supporting all 4
corners (push each corner down and there should be no rocking of
vehicle).

Front rear, rear front is a personal preferance.  I need to drive up on
2"x12" boards in order to get the floor jack under my Spitfire.  Make
sure the jack can roll while jacking since once one end is on stands,
the car can't roll as you jack the other end up.

Sometimes I leave the jack up under the engine or differential (close
but not touching) as a safety precaution.

And since you're doing a brake job, remember to put the jack stands in
place starting with the corner furthest from the brake master cylinder
and working your way closer to the master cylinder.  IE: Right Rear,
Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front.  Unless your car is right hand
drive....

Be careful under there!
Clark