Re: Jackstand placement

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Jackstand placement
From: mike@spitfire.stortek.com (Mike Ginter SA)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:54:31 -0600

> CAMHI ALAN wrote:
>
> > Any/all comments are welcome as I am extremely nervous about getting
> > under the car while on stands.  I know everyone has done it at one time
> > but it still doesn't make it any easier.  Are there any safety measures I
> > can take(i.e. cinder blocks as auxillary stands, etc.) that will help
> > allay my fears?
>
> Alan:
>
> I usually leave the jack in place after I lower it onto stands, unless
> it's going to be in the way of what I'm doing.  Honestly, a decent set
> of stands alone are fine, and *MUCH* more stable than you think..  I've
> given lifted cars a heck of a whack and never had one as much as budge.
>
> (I HAVE driven off the front edge of a set of car ramps, but thats a
> whole different story...)
>
> I usually give the car a good shove before I get under it, just to
> double check it..   I'd much rather have one fall off the stands than
> fall on my head, know what I mean?
>
> John

I managed to pull my tranny, driveshaft, exhaust system, differential and
axle shafts all with the car on jackstands as near to all four corners as
possible.  The car actually was more stable than it is on wheels and tires
due to the flex of the sidewalls.  And yes, I also leave the jack under the
car while on stands just for that "safety blanket" effect.  It really can
be quite stable if done with care.

Mike
79 Spit