Re: Jackstand placement

To: CAMHI ALAN <camhi@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Jackstand placement
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:50:06 -0400
CAMHI ALAN wrote:

> Any/all comments are welcome as I am extremely nervous about getting
> under the car while on stands.  I know everyone has done it at one time
> but it still doesn't make it any easier.  Are there any safety measures I
> can take(i.e. cinder blocks as auxillary stands, etc.) that will help
> allay my fears?

Alan:

I usually leave the jack in place after I lower it onto stands, unless
it's going to be in the way of what I'm doing.  Honestly, a decent set
of stands alone are fine, and *MUCH* more stable than you think..  I've
given lifted cars a heck of a whack and never had one as much as budge.

(I HAVE driven off the front edge of a set of car ramps, but thats a
whole different story...)

I usually give the car a good shove before I get under it, just to
double check it..   I'd much rather have one fall off the stands than
fall on my head, know what I mean?

John