Re: Rear fender removal

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear fender removal
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 12:12:38 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 6 Sep 1997 ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> > It says I have to remove the rear bumper.  Why is this?  It looks like I
> >  can just lift the fender straight up after unbolting it.
> >

> Because the original configuration had a round bar which went from the bumper
> through the fender to the frame.  I guess the purpose was to keep the fender
> from flapping.  Sounds like some DPO has been at work on your car.

I've still got this, albeit not as original (rubber spacer instead of jam
nuts)  and have removed half the bumper mounts (Left only...).  It flexes
enough to draw it away from the fender.  I think most of the reason for
bumper removal is so that you don't scratch the fender while wrestling
with it.

I will have to do considerable welding and rebuilding on the body shell
side of the car, there's a lot of decay present, and many bolts are
missing :-(

-Malcolm

    Too many rocks and not enough sand.