Re: oldest GT6 (Was) Spit Heater Valve - Now GT6

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: oldest GT6 (Was) Spit Heater Valve - Now GT6
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:59:11 -0700
Cc: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>, tomomalley@hey.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Andrew Mace wrote:

> [Much "banter" between Bob and Ray -- oops, make that Bob and Tom, one
> of whom referred to Ray ;-) -- deleted]
>
> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Bob Sykes wrote:
>
> > I've recently learned of another '66 MkI for sale.  The PDPO believes
> > that this may be the oldest car surviving.  He did not provide the
> > commision number, but claims it was the 700th car made (KC700 I assume).
> > Does anyone here have, or know of an earlier example?
>
> Perhaps long-time TSSC members can help my memory here (my few, sporadic
> issues of the magazine from way back are way back in a closet @ Mom's
> house). I remember an article appearing in The Courier about an extremely
> early GT6 being rescued from the proverbial British garden or hedgerow --
> a prototype or very, very low commission number. Does that ring a bell
> with anyone?
>
> --Andy

There were 10 GT6 prototypes built as far as I know. The original Press
Demonstrator, registration GWK ??? D survives in the capable hands of
Hugh Roberts (the man who built THAT Vitesse), and it will be eventually
restored despite being in appalling condition. I know that several other
prototypes survive, but I have no further details. BTW, all 10
prototypes were painted white,
                Bill.
--

    ^================^      This Message sent by:
 | |                  | |   1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup