Re: TR6: bad rocker shaft.

To: dstauffa@csc.com, triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6: bad rocker shaft.
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:45:07 -0500
    Sounds like you have a good mechanic. They only mechanic  I know of
locally (New Orleans) charged me $200.00 to change two Ujoints on the
drive shaft on my 71 TR-6. I had broken my left thumb rather badly and
was unable to do it myself. Since she was my only transportation at the
time it couldn't wait. He seemed to know he had me. That was last time I
let anyone else work on her. Obviously,  I won't be going back to him
anytime soon.

    I understand economies of scale, but 3 to 4 times as much sounds a
little much. Besides I think rollers are one of the last things I can
do. I've already milled the head, got a faster cam,  free flow exhaust
and header, and dual webers.  From what I understand rollers really
reduce the lateral force between the valves and guides.  This reduction
in friction is good for around 10 hp? I've read it's more 10- 20 hp,
although I am kind of suspicious of those claims.  But because of the
price I will probably go with a rebuilt stock assembly.

--
Roger Helman                  71 TR6 CC67866L
Digimation Inc.               http://deepthought.digimation.com/rogerh/