Re: TR6: bad rocker shaft.

To: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Subject: Re: TR6: bad rocker shaft.
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:38:10 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Roger Helman wrote:

>     It appears that my Rocker Arm assembly is shot. The shaft is very
> worn. I can see ridges where the rocker arms have worn into the shaft.
> Since the best price I have found on a rebuilt Rocker Assembly is
> ~$250.00.    Does anyone know the best place to get roller rockers for
> my '6?  TRF and Moss sell them at a premium. I wonder why they only cost
> a ~300.00 for a Chevy V8, and around $900- $1200 for TR 6 cylinders.

        I feel your pain :)

        I would go with a rebuild. Get the shaft and the bushings on the
        rocker arms from wherever and take the new stuff to your friendly
        local machinist and have him ream the new bushings to size... You can
        also have the grooves worn on the valve side of the rockers) polished
        off at that time.

        You may not save a whole lot of money... but you'll get a great
        education on how the job is done.

        I did it for my `4 many years ago... I even kept the old rocker shaft
        (you wouldn't believe how badly worn it was [1/16" deep grooves])

        Greg P

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois