Re: TR3 advice

To: Matrix1643@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 advice
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:21:58 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-18 22:03:09 EDT, Matrix1643@aol.com writes:

<< This is just about my first time to actually post on the list, although
I've
 been reading for quite some time.  I am just now starting the complete
 restoration of a '60 TR3 and was wondering if anyone had advice for how to
 get starting on this particular car.  I have the equipment and knowledge to
 fix almost everything...just wanna know how to get started.  I'd appreciate
 any advice you can give.

Derek;

I think you will get good input if you start off  by describing the overall
condition of your particular car here on the list , and defining your
personal objectives.

The other thing that might sound stupid, is to prepare  before you pick up a
wrench. Prepare your work area.  Have lots of storage available, boxes, bags,
markers. Lots of space makes the going easier.   Make sure you have manuals
and parts books too.  Unless you've worked on the TRs before, I would read
the repair book and parts books, cover to cover , before you start. You
cannot assume that what you will find in the car you are working on is
correct or even complete.  Parts are often  substituted or missing, making
the puzzle even more interesting, and frustrating.

Keep in mind that you cannot really determine what work you need to do on
that car until you get it apart. Use lots of ziplock bags.  Make notes on the
bags.

Unless you are real familiar with TR construction, you might want to document
every step you take.  If the car is pretty much assembled now, take lots of
photos and make diagrams before you start.  Especially placement of
attachments, routing of lines, and wiring.  Document the scuttle attachments
inside and out.  You probably won't remember where the choke cable attached
under the dash when you start to reassemble it.  Remember too it might not be
correctly assembled now.

It's kind of like a trip, you want to know where you are when you start and
have a pretty good idea where you  want to be when you end up.

Hope this helps and  would love a more detailed description of that car.
Bob Paul
TS71101 L STC 62
TS45738L O
TS 7280L