Re: Panasport Wheels -Reply

To: Martin Wilson <martinw@fmc.gov>
Subject: Re: Panasport Wheels -Reply
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 14:47:09 -0400
Cc: ingate@shiseis.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, mxgo@ix.netcom.com
Martin Wilson wrote:

> Vic don't bogart the scoop, where did you get the wheels for the spit,
> how much, what tires do you run on them and last but not least -- the
> usual caveats
>
> tia
> marty wilson
> 78 (nobody to wave at) spit

> Shane F. Ingate wrote:
> >
> > Martin Gonzales wrote:
> >         > I am trying to determine what is the difference between the TRF
> >         > panasports, the Moss bolt-on, and the VB bolt-ons...
> >
> > Panasport make Panasport.  They are a Japanese company, and are
> distributed
> > by someone in LA.  I would not recommend doing business with the
> LA
> > importers, ad they dont know anything about rim size, offset,
> backspacing
> > etc.  K-Speed seem to offer the best prices (standard disclaimers
> > here) and are very knowledgable....
> >
> > The Panasports appear (to me) somewhat more aggressive than the
> > Moss/VB repros (made by a Brit company KN?).  All are only
> > passable as Series 1 Minilites from at least 10 feet.  The Panas
> > hves a removable hub cap where it may be possible to insert the
> > red TR6 labels, but I have not tried that yet.  The KNs do not
> > have a removable cap.  Tha Panas also have a "machined" rim,
> > providing a contrast with the powder coated "spokes" (available
> > in silver, gold or black), which I find very attractive.  The Panas
> > also come in wider widths, and you also have the option of buying
> > them in magnesium - very light but much extra $$...
> >
> > Some folk prefer the KNs, and I would describe them as more
> > "traditional".  Racers prefer the look of the Panas...
> >
> > My $0.02...
> >
> >         Shane Ingate in San Diego
> I just bought a set of KN Minator wheels on Sunday for my 76 Spitfire..
> They look great. I beg to differ on the removable cap. Mine have caps
> and will take the standard Triumph sticker. The stickers need to be cut
> down by removing the silver edge down to the blue ring..
>
> Vic Whitmore
> 76 Spitfire
> Thornhill, Ontario

I don't know what you mean by "bogart the scoop" but I'll answer your
questions just the same.
I bought the Minators from BMC British Auto Parts at the Toronto Triumph
Club British Car Day at Bronte Creek Provincial Park. They were $695 Cdn
including taxes and were complete with chrome lug nuts. I haven't got
tires on them yet but I'm considering 175/70 R13 on the basis that they
will be close to the same diameter. Canadian Tire has a sale on their
tires this week and I can get them at $49 including mounting and valve
stem. My son works there and he likes them. But I'm in no hurry to buy.
I hope that answers all your questions and I'm glad to help.