Re: tr6 diff seals

To: "DUHART JOHN" <duhart@symbol.com>, "Peter Zaborski" <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 diff seals
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 18:07:07 -0500
Cc: "\"'TR6 List'\"" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I've replaced the seals on 5 differentials. The first 4 were early ones so
the collapsible spacer of the later TR6 units was not a problem. Tightened
them down as tight as I could.  The early units use shims to get the
preload correct, so the correct preload is easy to duplicate if tightened
enough. I forgot the "mark it first" advice on the '76 TR6 and took it
apart then went to the books. I tightened it up as best I could. This car
now leaks from the seal again and has a whine (2, including me). As far as
the axle seals go, I've had good success with brining the stub axles to a
truck machine shop to press them off. I screwed up the first one I tried on
my own. On the '76, I hooked up my biggest 4 leg puller to the flange with
the stub axles still attached to the diff unit, and tightened it down,  I
then heavily tapped the end of the center locating rod. Both sides came
apart.  (I tried this with the diff in the car but there wasn't enough room
to strike the puller nut. It might be a bad idea to be hitting the axle
while in the diff, but it worked.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race