Re: tr6 diff seals

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 diff seals
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 22:48:34 +0100
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> Yesterday there was a post expressing concern that replacing the diff
> seals on a TR6 may not be as straightforward as Bentley suggests. In
> fact, according to TRF (?) there is risk of damaging the diff by
> altering the tolerances of the internal parts while replacing the seals
> (I think the original poster asked only about the pinion seal and did
> not mention the inner axle seals). And that the selas hsould not be
> touched until a full rebuild is undertaken.
>
> I have seen no replies to this post. Since I was also planning on
> replacing the seals (pinion _and_ inner axle) on my diff this winter, I
> am very alarmed by this suggestion. Is the concern valid? Or can one
> replace the seals without disrupting the parts which rely on the close
> tolerances?
>
> Could someone with knowledge of this topic please educate the rest of
> us?
-------------------------
Peter and the list

The inner stub axle seals behind the differential axle hubs can be
replaced without doing any diff rebuilds and it does not upset any of
the settings. The easiest way to change these is with the diff assy. out
of the car on a bench. Remove the four mounting plate cap screws after
you spin the axle nut off the flange on the left and right side. If the
flange comes off the stub axle you really dont need to pull the seal
plate but it makes it easier if you do.

In the three diff's I have done I needed to find a 50 ton press with a
bearing splitter to remove the flange from the shaft.

This axle shaft is splined into the side gear on each side. No worry
about upsetting any adjustments.

The only adjustment you may upset is the pinion bearing preload. If I
remember correctly it is dependent on a crush sleeve on the pinion shaft
between the inner and outer pinion bearings. The key is to replace and
it crushes as you torque the pinion flange. Other pinion preloads are
set with shims behind a pinion bearing.

Do yourself a favor and don't replace the seal with leather or felt. Use
a rubber double lip seal from a bearing or seal supplier.

You will encounter some problems, but not with
        1 pinion depth
        2 drive and coast tooth patterns
        3 case or carrier bearing preloads
        4 backlash