Re: How Many TR2 & 3's are left.

To: EPaul21988@aol.com
Subject: Re: How Many TR2 & 3's are left.
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 19:33:03 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
EPaul21988@aol.com wrote:

> Dear TR 2&3 Enthusiasts
>
> I've been wondering for some time how many TR2s & 3s are still left. Getting
> an actual count is of course impossible, but I've been thinking of some
> possible resources to get an estimate and thought some other lister may have
> a suggestion or two, or might even be able to fill in some of the numbers.
> Here's what I've got on my list so far:
>
> 1. Number or TR2s & 3s registered with these clubs:
> TR register in England
> Triumph Register of America
> Vintage Triumph Register
>
> 2. Number  TR2s & 3's in the databases of the major parts suppliers:
> MOSS
> TRF
>
> 3. Wild guesses from some very informed TR people, such as Bill Piggott.
>
> 4, Actual registration figures are available from a commercial vendor,  by
> state, but only for the make of the car, the last time I checked anyway.
>  They indicated that they could sort by model, for an additional fee.  The
> cost here is prohibitive for this venture. They charged by State and, while I
> don't recall the exact amount, it was over $10 per State.
>
> Even if you had all of these numbers, you couldn't just add them up. of
> course.  The same car may be registered with TRF and MOSS and TRA.  They
> would be food for thought though.  I'd think you get a real quick idea of the
> minimum number of cars still left though.  Anyone have any of these numbers
> handy?
>
> I love to see some guesses from this list too.   Here are Piggotts production
> figures for each of the sidecurtain TRs. Clearly some of those cars are
> simply 'gone', chopped up melted down. buried whatever.  Those that are still
> around, and I'll just say that means there's  something that you can look at
> and would say 'yeah that's a TR', be it a rusted hulk or a concourse car.
> Without worrying about too technical of a definition of  the meaning of
>  'still around' what would your guess be?
>
>                        THEN                 NOW
> TR2                  8636
> TR3                13377
> TR3A              58309
> TR3B                3334
>
> Total all variants:  83656
>
> I don't mean to snub all the other marvelous models of Triumph Motorcars.  I
> just have a personal interest in the sidecurtain cars.
>
> As an after thought I'd add a number 5 to the list above. I just bet there's
> a formula  to predict the number of average surviving cars by year of
> manufacture in the Insurance or Automotive industry.  I'd be certain that TRs
> would have survived with a higher percentage than the 'average' car though.
>  Anyone have any thoughts or info on this?
>
> Bob Paul
> Aspiring TR Historian
> Corrales NM  USA

I wish you all the luck in the world trying to find out.  I had the same
questions regarding Spitfires and nobody knows.  I decided to establish
a Spitfire database and find out that way.  Trouble is the people who
are in the best position to help gather that kind of data either don't
care or are afraid that I am trying to steal their members away.  I
don't get any response at all from the VTR.

What is the "registry" good for if nobody can get any data from it?

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (No Doo's)